Section 2 of the National Youth Council Act 1993 provides for the establishment of a National Council to be known as the National Youth Council. The Council shall be a body corporate, shall have perpetual succession and a common seal and may sue and be sued in its corporate name.
The National Council is the main policy-making body of the Council. Under Section 5(1) of the National Youth Council Amendment Act 2003, the Council shall consist of the following; -
- the National Youth Executive Committee;
- The Chairperson of every district Youth Council;
- The secretary for Female youth at the district level
- The secretary for finance at the District level
- Eight representatives of Non-governmental organizations involved in youth activities nominated on a regional basis by the National Executive Committee in consultation with the Non-Governmental Organizations Board;
- A representative of youth persons with disabilities
- Four students’ representatives elected by the Uganda National Students Association, two of whom shall be female and one from a secondary school;
- The Executive Secretary of the National Youth Council;
- Members of Parliament Representing the Youth
This Section further provides for special membership of the Council in paragraphs (e), (h) and (i) of subsection (1) who shall be ex-officio members and shall participate in the deliberations of the Council without a deciding vote”.