Section 7 of the National Youth Council Amendment Act 2003 provides for the establishment of a District Youth Council in every District of Uganda.
The District Youth Council shall be a body corporate with the power to sue or be sued in its cooperate name and shall carry out every lawful activity carried out by body corporate.
Composition of the District Youth Council
According to the National Youth Council Act 2003, the District Youth Council shall consist of the following; -
- the District Youth Committee;
- The Chairperson of every sub-county, Division, Municipality or Town Youth Council;
- The Secretary for Women Affairs at the Sub-county, Division, Municipality or Town level;
- The Secretary responsible for Finance at the sub-county, Division, Municipality or Town level;
- One representative of Non-governmental organizations involved in youth activities in the District to be nominated by the District youth council committee;
- One youth with disability nominated by organizations of persons with disability in the district;
- The District Officer in charge of Youth Affairs;
- Two student representatives nominated by the Uganda National Students’ Association in the District one of whom shall be female;
- The two youth councilors on the district Local Government Council;
- The Executive Secretary of the District Secretariat
The members of the Council in paragraphs (e), (g), (i), (j) shall be ex-officio members who shall participate in the deliberations of the Council without a deciding vote.
The District Youth Council shall meet twice a year to discharge its functions and shall be chaired by the Chairman or in his absence the Vice-Chairman